Temporary bus route changes during Heritage festival
Published: Fri, 23 Sep 2016
The George community will be celebrating the city’s first Heritage Festival from 1 – 8 October 2016. Please take note of temporary road closures that will impact some GO GEORGE routes on the following dates and times:
- York Street will be partially closed between Victoria Street and Hibernia Street from 17:30 – 18:30 for a colour fun walk, but buses will be accommodated. Slight delays might occur.
- 18:00 – 21:00: Complete closure of York Street between Hibernia Street and York Street circle (Unity Park) for festive activities.
During this time, all buses travelling from the CBD interchange to Pacaltsdorp, will travel up Cradock Street towards Courtenay Street, turning left into Courtenay Street, then left into Meade Street, right into Cathedral Street and left into York Street (for buses only).
Route 56 Denneoord will be rerouted to go to the CBD via Courtenay Street, turning right into Meade Street, left into Market Street, and left into Cradock Street.
The closest stops for people wanting to attend festivities at Unity Park:
- From Blanco: York D stop (313) across Standard Bank (c/o Hibernia and York)
- From Pacaltsdorp: York C stop (866) in Market Street across the Civil Engineering Department (old Town Hall)
- From Rosemoor: To CBD, transfer to Blanco bus and get off at Market stop (553) in front of the Post Office
- From Denneoord: Using Route 56, get off at Meade stop (149) in Courtenay Street and walk back to Unity Park
- From Loeriepark: To CBD, transfer to Blanco bus and get off at Market stop (553) in front of the Post Office
The incoming lane (towards CBD) of York Street from Hope Street (Airport Road) circle to Nelson Mandela Boulevard will be closed from 18:00 – 20:00 for a fun run. The three main routes from Pacaltsdorp to the CBD will travel via Hope Street, turning left into Union Street, right into Mitchell Street, left into Market Street and then right into Cradock Street. These buses will return to Pacaltsdorp via the normal route.
Visit George Heritage Festival