GO GEORGE will be making adjustments to certain routes to accommodate the annual George Lights Festival on Saturday, 14 December 2019.
Service hours will not be extended beyond the normal schedule.
York Street will be closed between Hibernia Street and the circle in front of the George Museum from 10:00 until 00:00 on Saturday, with the Denneoord, Rosemoor and Pacaltsdorp routes consequently cutting out that part of York Street. The northern lanes of the circle will remain open to traffic, being used as single lanes in both directions.
All bus stops in York Street between Hibernia Street and the circle will be temporarily closed during the time of road closure, with the buses being rerouted to cause as little inconvenience as possible. The Market stops in front of the Post Office will be open to Route 2 Blanco – CBD only.
Here is a summary of the amended routes for your convenience:
Routes 56 and 56R Denneoord – CBD
- Travelling from Denneoord to the CBD, Route 56R turns left from Caledon Street
into Courtenay Street, right into Meade Street, left into Market Street, then as normal.
- Route 56 follows the same route back to Denneoord from the Hub.
- Bus stops not operational during rerouting: Reverse route – Cathedral and Protea;
forward route – Market and Cathedral
- Nearest bus stops to festival:George Library (120) and Sandy McGregor (121)
in Caledon Street, Cathedral B (146) at Oakhurst Hotel in Meade Street, and
Meade (148) in Courtenay Street.
Routes 53 and 53B Rosemoor – CBD
- Travelling from Rosemoor to the CBD, these routes turn left into Meade Street
from Courtenay Street, left into Market Street and then normal route to CBD.
- Bus stops not operational during rerouting: Cathedral and Protea
- Nearest bus stops to festival:Wellington (565) next to George Preparatory School.
- Travelling from Pacaltsdorp along York Street, turn right into Market Street, left
into Meade Street, right into Courtenay Street, and then normal route to CBD.
- Bus stops not operational during rerouting: Market and Cathedral
- Nearest bus stops to festival: Cathedral B (146) at Oakhurst Hotel, Meade (149)
in front of the white church (Moederkerk) and York C in Market Street.