The GO GEORGE Smart Card has replaced the paper tickets of the bus service at the end of last year. Cardholders are familiar with the process by now and are happily loading trips onto their cards at Smart Card kiosks, Smart Card mobile vehicles and registered top-up vendors such as supermarkets, petrol stations and cafés. If you don’t have a card yet, here’s what you need to know:
What does the Smart Card cost?
• Your first Smart Card (registered to your name) will cost only R20, including two pre-loaded trips. This offer still stands.
• You will have to show your ID, passport, driver’s licence or birth certificate to ensure that only one card at this price is issued per person.
• Children from the age of 4 must have their own Smart Cards.
• People may register cards for other individuals, for example family members or employees, providing they bring along valid ID documents and register a card for each.
• If you do not have any official proof of identity, you can still buy an unregistered card at the normal price of R40, with no pre-loaded trips, for as many people as you like.
Where do I get my Smart Card?
GO GEORGE Smart Cards are available at the following card distribution points, seven days a week:
• Smart Card kiosk in the George Transport Hub in Cradock Street: 05:30 – 20:30
• Smart Card kiosk next to old SARS glassbuilding , York Street: 05:30 – 20:30
• Smart Card kiosk at Garden Route Mall: 05:30 – 20:30
• Smart Card kiosk at Blanco Triangle: 05:30 – 20:30
• Smart Card mobile vehicles
To make it possible for those who cannot get to a Smart Card kiosk to buy a card, two Smart Card mobile vehicles are travelling to different parts of town on a fixed schedule that is available from GO GEORGE passenger support staff and at the Info Kiosk at the George Transport Hub, as well as at www.gogeorge.org.za. The vehicles also sell trips and provide the ideal opportunity to top up at a convenient time.
Take note: You cannot buy your card at a top-up vendor, only at kiosks and mobile vehicles.
Enquiries, information and help
The fold-up user guide issued with your card contains all you need to know about using the Smart Card.
For any enquiries about the location of Smart Card mobile vehicles and kiosks or top-up vendors or how to use the card, phone the GO GEORGE Call Centre between 05:00 and 21:30 on 0800 044 044.
If you need help with a damaged, defective or stolen card, your most direct route for help is a visit to a Smart Card kiosk or mobile vehicle.